When your home is under attack by pests, it is often more sensible to hire a professional pest removal service provider than to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself. Pests are masters of survival. They can be resourceful, elusive, and aggressive, and often won’t go down without a fight. To remove them safely, you need to know about them. The success or failure of pest removal depends upon the people doing the job.
Here are the top five things you should look for in a professional pest removal service provider:
- Knowledge of pests: A professional pest removal service provider should know all about the pests that will be handled. He or she should know where they like to live, what they like to eat, how they breed and how aggressive they can be. He or she should have a proven track record of handling pests. You will know this by the insightful answers he or she gives to your questions about the pest that is troubling you. If he or she gives a wrong or made-up answer, then you'd better think twice before hiring this provider.
- Government certification: In Canada, pest removal service providers are required to obtain a government certification before they can practice their trade. There are two reasons for this: some animals, such as raccoons, are protected by the law; and improper handling of pesticides is dangerous and can cause fatalities. Therefore, before hiring a pest removal service provider, you should ask to see his or her government certification. If he or she doesn’t have one, then you’d better look for another provider.
- Whether he or she is insured: Pest removal is often a dangerous job. Larger pests usually resist removal and will even fight back if they feel cornered. Also, some pesticides are toxic and may cause serious injuries. Therefore, professional pest removal service providers are insured. If the person you are considering is not, then you'd better find one who is.
- Professional attitude: A professional pest removal service provider should take his or her job seriously. He or she should arrive for work suitably dressed for the job and have the required equipment and pesticides in his or her possession. The provider should have a friendly and polite demeanour and give you the feeling that he or she can be trusted to do the job.
- References: Every experienced pest removal service provider has more than one client. Some of them may be your relatives, friends, colleagues or acquaintances. If you happen to know anyone that he or she has worked for, then you should ask that person for a reference. If the provider is a total stranger, then you should ask for references from former clients with their phone numbers, so that you can talk to them.
Before hiring a professional pest removal service provider, you should have a good discussion with him or her and give the person a thorough tour of the affected areas. If the provider discusses your pest problem in every detail, asks insightful questions, and shows interest in providing long-term solutions, then he or she is the one you are looking for. You can hire this person after confirming the five points discussed earlier.